Pair 19th Century Belgium Animal Oil Paintings By Franz van Severdonck
- Pair Fine Antique Belgium Work of Art Victorian Animal Oil Paintings Cattle Sheep, Lamb, Goat & Ducks.
- Subject landscape with animals, the first has a mother sheep ewe with 2 of her baby lambs who are sitting down looking right, with a goat standing up above watching over and looking to the left. With a tree behind and open country landscape in the distance. To the far right is a small maynard duck in the corner area. On the second companion painting the scene is of ewe sheep standing looking right with just below her baby lamb also standing, just the left laying down is 1 cattle looking straight ahead. To the bottom corner is a maynard duck sitting. Also having trees in the background and open country field scenic view.
- Oil on panel.
- Signed in the bottom corner on each by the known artist Franz van Severdonck (1809-1889).
- He painted mainly genre pieces and landscapes with cows, sheep and poultry, he is counted among the followers of the Belgian cattle painter Eugène Joseph Verboeckhoven who came to live in Brussels in 1827 and achieved great success at the Salon with his paintings with cattle. Throughout the 19th century, the painting of livestock was a very popular genre. The Belgian painter Franz van Severdonck was born in Brussels, where he lived and worked all his life. It is not yet known, where the artist was trained, but his high compositional and technical skills allow the assumption of a professional training. Franz van Severdonck was a master of animals and created numerous compositions with sheep, horses and chickens. His usually small-sized depictions are highly sought after collectable items on the international art market. Reference souces Christies, Sotherbys,1stdibs.
- An exceptional sought after collectible artwork.
- Set in a traditional stylish gilt frame.
- Circa mid 19th century Victorian era.
- Provenance bought from a fine art auction label verso.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye a great conversation piece.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible animal nature of subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon subject quality & significance.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in reasonable overall order. Having paint loss, various fading, staining and craquelure. Set in fine gilt frames which have various general wear, scuffs, stains, paint losses commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in centimetres of each frame approximate
Depth thickness of frame (3.25cm)