Scottish Oil Painting Burn Trout" By James Russell 1867-1956
- 1 Fine Scottish Antique Work of Art Oil Painting Sporting "Burn Trout" Trout Fish Freshly Caught By J B Russell.
- Title "Burn Trout".
- Subject study of a Trout fish, which has been freshly caught and have spilt out of the brown basket by the river edge.
- They where caught in 1914 in the Culroy Burn river in Ayrshire Scotland.
- Old label verso Weir & Clyde Carvers & Gilders, 463 Eglinton Street Glasgow.
- Oil on canvas.
- The colours are so vibrant.
- Signed J B Russell in red in the bottom corner by the known Scottish artist.
- A fine example of his work.
- Artist biograpgy James Russell 1867-1956, painted under the name ‘J B Russell’. He was born in Edinburgh and following the death of his mother from smallpox, his father, John Bucknell Russell, took the family to an island in the Forth to escape the plague. It was around this time that his father was commissioned by the Duke of Richmond and Gordon to go to Fochabers, Morayshire, in the North of Scotland, to carve in wood and paint every salmon over the weight of forty pounds caught in the River Spey.
- James followed in his father’s footsteps as an artist and became practiced in the elaborate task of painting scales onto carved fish. His main interests throughout his life were fishing and poaching and he always remained ‘a bit of a lad’. He would poach almost every night for rabbits and fished all around his local areas, never gaining permission or a licence to do so.
- After his father’s death he moved with his family to Glasgow at the turn of the 20th century, and later to Roxburghshire in 1918. He continued to paint fish not on wood but in both oils and watercolours. He painted until the end of his life and his grandson recalls how the house “was full of the smells of oil paints and gigantic pictures of fish on flat canvasses were all around.” With thanks to a piece written by his grandson Dr James Russell, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Set in a traditional stylish moulded gilt frame.
- Circa 1914 early 20th century.
- Such a delightful scene to the eye.
- Highly sought after due to the collectible sporting nature of subject matter such elaborate detail.
- With hanging thread on the back ready for immediate home wall display.
- Incredible conversation piece for your guests.
- We only select & sell paintings based upon quality & significance.
- We understand your purchase is for your home or as an investment.
- We provide our clients with friendly professional customer service.
- Condition report.
- Offered in fine used condition.
- Front painting surface in excellent overall order. Set in fine original gilt frame which has general wear, scuffs, cracking commensurate with usage & old age.
- International buyers worldwide shipping is available please ask for a quote.
- Viewings are welcome by appointment only for customer support please send a message thankyou.
- Checkout our exciting other available collections in our shop gallery, happy shopping.
Dimensions in inches & centimetres of the frame approximate
Depth thickness of frame (6cm)